Family Fave: No-Bake Snack Bars (or Dessert Bars!)
Recipe type: Snack or Dessert
I try to have these bars on hand for my kids. They work when they want a treat when it isn't a dessert night, or when they need a quick snack that won't leave them hungry in 30 minutes. I cut them into individual bars and store them in snack bags in the freezer.
- 4 T coconut oil, melted
- 4 T raw honey
- ½ c natural peanut butter (can use any nut butter alternative here)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c rolled oats
- ⅓ c shredded coconut
- 2 T chia seeds
- 2 T cinnamon
- bar of dark chocolate (I use 70% cocoa or higher)
- Combine first 4 ingredients (I usually melt the first three together then add the vanilla).
- Combine dry ingredients (oats, coconut, seeds and cinnamon).
- Stir dry and wet ingredients together. Pour into a 9x9 baking dish and press down. I use a metal ½ c measuring cup to push everything flat. The better you do at this the better your bars will stay together!
- Melt chocolate bar. I do this in the microwave at 50% power - one minute, stir, then another minute. Drizzle chocolate over the flattened oat mixture.
- Put in the freezer for 30-60 minutes to set.
- Cut into individual bars. Place each one in a snack bag and store in freezer for a super convenient, satisfying snack or treat!
Recipe adapted from one I found on peanutbutterrunner.com – I will post the original as soon as I can…it had some extra nuts and dried fruit in it if I remember correctly.
Update: Here it is! https://www.peanutbutterrunner.com/peanut-butter-coconut-and-fruit-granola-bars/